Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Amsterdam, Netherlands/Munich, Germany - June 15th - 17th

I woke up Monday refreshed and ready to start the day! I had a Dutch Apple croissant for Breakfast which was absolutely delicious. I then proceeded to the Anne Frank museum to start the day. The museum was very sobering - I was able to first view the history of Anne Frank and pieces of her diarand then was able to see the actual rooms and house where she lived.

I thought I knew my history - and I kind of do - but seeing this museum made me realize that I probably need to read the diary again. Its unbelievable to think of the Jewish persecution and also how she and the family were able to live here with no one else knowing. Like I said it was sobering but also quite inspirational that a little girl could write such thoughts and create such a memory.

It is really sad that this all happened and it will be even heavier Im sure when I visit the Dachau concentration campp tomorrow.

After the museum I had a quick lunch and then took a canal cruise around the canals of Amsterdam. It was in one of those famous glass boats, and it was awesome cruising in and between all the canals in the city. After the canals I rented a bike and rode aroudn the city for a good 3 hours. It was awesome - going up and down all the canals and streets seeing the city on wheels. I have to say - the Dutch bikes are different. Their brakes are simply made by peddling backwards (there are no traditional American brakes) so that was interesting to learn!

I stopped for a snack at a local, not tourist Cheese shop. Bought some Dutch Gouda cheese and a baguette, and munched on that - it was the best cheese I ever had, so delicious - before finishing my bike ride.

After showering I headed out for a walk and dinner. I had a famous Dutch Pancake with bacon and cheese. Its hard to explain - it was a dinner pancake, but oh so good with syrup on top of the ingredients. I took a picture satisfied with my carnage!

I woke up the next day, felling rested after going to bed early the night before. I had a 10am flight to Munich, so I had to be at the train station early. I took a flight to Munich from Amsterdam, but had a weird layover in London which makes no sense...maybe all British Airway flights stopover there I guess.

After arriving in Munich Tuesday evening, I found this great Hostel (Wombatts) about 1 mile from Marienplatz (the main square in the city) and also right near the main train station. I went to Hafbrahaus last night, which is the main and famous (touristy) beer garden in Munich. Sat with some older Americans and had a large traditional Hofbrau and veal sausage! It was so tasty, and I went to bed satisfied with my first German meal.

I woke up today and did an awesome walking tour around Munich. Note - these walking tours are great. Guides are tip only, and besides the monetary reason then live here and know their stuff. We did a 4 hour walking trip around Munich and all its sites. Amazingly, there are onlz 6 structures or monuments that withstood World War II. Everything else had been rebuilt since then. We saw some famous churches, saw Marienplaty at is busiest, and even stopped for a beer and sausage break during luncht time. FYI, you can walk around Munich with a beer at all times!

It is the beer capital of the world really (Bavaria country) and their beers are incredible. Munich is over 700 years old as a city, yet Germany itself is onlz 150 years old! I have to say....Berlin wasnt on my original plan, but now I feel I must go there to get a more whole feel of Germany.

We finished the tour at a a Beer Garden near the English Gardens, where by the way at these gardens were many nude people - especially old men laying by the river which is not a sight I wanted to see! The beer garden was amazing -- the 2nd biggest in the world, and it was worth it. I met an Australian and a guy from Denmark on our tour and we proceeded to have 3 big liters of Veis (Heffezein) which tasted so great under the sun! (It was about 75 degrees and sunny out, the best weather Ive had so far). I also had some more sausage for dinner and I came home satisfied with my beer and sausage dinner!

Tomorrow promises to be a great day as Im visiting the Dachau Camp, and then preparing to go to Prague!

No comments:

Post a Comment