Saturday, June 6, 2009

Northern Ireland - June 5th and 6th

The last 2 days have been some of the most enriching experiences - from the breathtaking scenery to the overwhelming hospitability of the locals.

After waking up Friday morning after a night out with the Canadians Thursday in Dublin, I took a 2 hour train to Belfast. I then met with Peter and Erin, 2 guys that work for the Belfast government that have also worked with my dad in his consulting business. They took me around the city a bit, and then we grabbed coffee. They filled me in on the local history, business environment, and actually some funny anecdotes of hanging out with my dad!

After coffee and some site seeking - FYI, there is not too many sites to see in Belfast - I took the 2 hour train/bas connection to Portrush, a little town on one of the most northern parts of Ireland. The town seaside town is picturesque as the sun goes down, and after I walked the town I found a bed and breakfast (the 1 hostel was booked) across the way from the local restaurants/bars.

I then had probably my best night so far. I met for dinner with Helen McNulty, another business colleague of my dad (she is my age) and 3 other associates that know him as well. We had dinner at this quaint restaurant that overlooks the harbor and the grassy coast. The salmon I had was fantastic, just perfectly cooked with a pepper sauce and even better with a few guinesses! They mostly told me overwhelming complimentary stories of my dad and how impressed they were of not his work neccessarily but of how fun he was when he visited Ireland last. I especially enjoyed the story of how (he was here last year with a friend and they biked the coast) he went to Bushmills Distillery and had a bit much to drink and started howling (my close friends from Phoenix will know how wierd but familiar that is) like a wolf and talked about the Packers the entire time.

Funny stuff, but I walked away feeling grateful of all these great connections that my dad made for himself but also which enabled me to meet the local people. Its funny - over here in Erurope there are obviously stereotypes of Americans - loud, abnoxious, arrogant - which I have seen already unfortunately - but they were impressed that some Americans still can work hard, play hard and be humble too.

After the associates went to bed, Helen and her 2 friends took me to this club/bar which was a BLAST. A few too many drinks - I admit I had squinity eyes last night -and some fun Irish dancing. I have pictures of me doing the Irish jig which MAYBE I will post!

I woke up today to my 1st English Breakfast of large helpings of eggs, meats, and toast. After eating I headed out to the Giant's Causeway on the Coast, about 7 miles from Portrush. I have backpacked the Grand Canyon a few times which is stunning and probably the best natural wonder I have ever seen, but this is right behind it. 4 miles long, it is essentially rocky basalt columns with pillars jutting out in the air. Next to it are large green grassy Glens, which are little mountains that rise up. The pictures are amazing and the views were fantastic.

After a couple hours of walking the Causeway, I walked 2 miles to Dunluce Castle, a castle built and re-built over the last 8 centuries. Half of it is still there, and its amazing to think what it actually looked like centuries ago...my 1st castle and I'm sure a teaser of what Scottland will be like.

I then finished the afternoon at the Bushmill's Distillery tour, which is Ireland's oldest whiskey distillery. It just celebrated its 400th anniversery, and after the tour we received a taste. I then met a couple from Philadelphia who dropped me back into town and I'm ready to head back out tonight with the Irish crew from last night and have a good time.

I'm wrapping up Ireland tomorrow, and ready to head to Scottland via ferry on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Ha the squinty eyes that is classic Andy I remember those from way back in the days of Beta - sounds like you have been killing it in Ireland - my sister and her boyfriend traveled all over Europe and Tunisia for 2 months and like Ireland the most - strangely Ireland was the hottest place they went to as well , freakishly warm in the mid 90's . . .

    ReplyDelete