Friday, June 26, 2009

Athens, Greece - June 24th - 26th

I woke up Wednesday morning ready to head to Athens...I had a noon flight from Vienna. However, I had NO CLEAN clothes, and my underwear...well Im sure they didn't smell too good! So I did laundry, which didn't get done until 10:15. So I haeded to the metro, and realized the timing was too tight so I got a taxi and arrived at the Vienna airport at 11:15 and made my 2 hour flight to Athens.

I arrived in Athens and took the 45 minute train to the city...I arrived at the Student and Travelers Inn, which is literally 300 yards from the Acropolis and is in the middle of Plaka, which is the historical, famous and awesome little area just northwest of the Acropolis.

Plaka - it has small cobblestoned streets lined with outdoor restaurants, bars, and shops. There are probably about 20 different little outdoor tavernas (bars) all along this area. Its absolutely amazing. I put my stuff down in the inn and wondered around the city.

Note -- the weather is OPPOSITE Vienna. Very hot, probably 90 - 100 degrees here.

Now before I tell this story let me say I pride myself on being not a naive American, and being very cognizant of my surroundings and not being taken for a scam. I have made it 4 weeks with no such issues. On that note...

I was wandering the city looking at a map when a guy game up to me and started talking to me. He asked me if I was lost. I said no, just walking around. He directed me where I was and then said he owned a bar and I should come with him for some free Ouzo (their local liquor). I said sure!

So I got to the bar and he poured me some Ouzo...then this pretty girl sat next to me. She talked to me for about 10 minutes and seemed very interested. She asked me if I wanted to buy her a drink. I said I don't buy girls drinks! I really dont...well, she kept asking and flirting so I said OK. I bought her champagne which is what she wanted. She then asked me to sit on the couch with her....it was at this time I knew something was up. "Is this a brothel?" I asked her. She laughed. No, No, I said what do you do? Turns out her job is a "Hostess" - her job is to get drinks bought for her it turns out. She gets a profit.

I became irritated and a bit emabarrassed. Buy me another drink! She said. Uh, no. I want my check I said. The cost - 30 euro for the drink. I had been had, and I cant believe I fell for it! Anyways..good story but lesson learned. :)

I took a quick shower and decided to have dinner and drinks at a Taverna close to where I was staying. I had Soulvaka and a couple beers, and then had a beer at another taverna with live Greek Dancing. Pretty cool! Older people dancing Greek Style...you don't see that in the States!

Thursday I did a walking tour in Athens. I joined a group that included 5 Americans and we walked the entire city and were able to spend a lot of time in the different historical sites - Agora, Temple of Zeus, and of course the Acropolis with the famous Parthenon. I have been to Rome, but to see sculptures and carvings over 2500 years old...Wow. Its amazing to think how they did this years ago with no modern machinery.

I took of course lots of photos...and everything is so beautiful its impossible to take a bad pictures. We were lucky too because the Acropolis museum - with lots of artifacts and sculptures - was closed for a couple years and just reopened last week so were able to see everything.

The Acropolis...Wow just incredible. To walk up and see the Parthenon and ancient Roman columns. Its overwhelming and pretty cool to realize what you are actually seeing.

Its also pretty interesting to see how the old and new blend in. Right by the Parthenon and Agora there are newer shops and restuarants.

After the breathtaking - and strenuous - walking, we decided to all meet up for dinner and drinks later on in the night. So after a nice shower and some rest, I met up the American group for dinner. I invited my Argentinan roommate as well, so me, Francisco (the Argentinan), Jimmy, Kristen, and Stephen headed out. I also invited a girl I saw by herself, Brie, to come with us as well.

We had the most delicious Gyros for dinner (oh...and for lunch we had Gyros with french fries INSIDE the gyros...money) and had a shot and a beer. We then headed out for the night. We had some beers, some shots, and then got beers to go at a store and walked up right by the Acropolis. Wow...beers in front of the Acropolis with it lit up at night. It was like we had the area all to ourselves.

Got some great pictures! Went to bed (Francisco kept thanking me for bringing the pretty American girl Brie who he took a uh...good like to!!)and was ready to crash after a long day.

Today was fantastic. Took a 9:00 bus to the main bus station where I took a 10:30 bus to Delphi, site of the ancient historical Greek ruins including the Apollo. I met an American guy, Ryan. Turns out his friend's sister is Gianna Piccardo, who went to UPS and I knew - small world! Also met 2 french girls that were traveling as well.

It was a 3 hour bus ride - LONG but just beautiful. Delphi is on the NW coast of Greece, and it is an UPHILL climb. We arrived to this little village and there me and Ryan toured the historical site. The ancient Greeks believed this was the center of the world - literally - and build temples and sanctuaries to the Greek Gods. The sites include a huge ampitheater, the famous Apollo, and lots of statues, columns, and artifacts.

The buildings started in 1400 BC, and finished roughly to 200AD, so it essentially pre-dated Athens. I walked around for 4 through the sites and the museum. I must say..it was better than I envisioned. Everything was carved and perched on a side of a mountain with Olive Trees and Rock formations, and you could see the sea in the background.

After lots of good pictures, Ryan and I got a beer and some Soulvaki, and then took the 3 hour busride back to Athens. We arrived tonight tired, and we parted ways as I had to head back to my inn for the night. Here I met Shane - who I met the night before - and we had some beers and BS'd about America, traveling, and of course Michael Jackson passing away.

Tomorrow I am taking the 5 hour ferry to Santorini, where Ryan is taking the same ferry and the Americans are there waiting to have some fun! I am on the tail end of my trip and I think I want to extend and spend another day on the Greek Islands but we will see.

Back to USA soon....but Santorini and the Greek Islands are my last stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment