Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Prague, Czech Republic/Vienna, Austria - June 21st - 23rd

My plan the other night was to do a pub crawl, but I was so exhausted from walking all day that I instead headed out to to the Castle part of town and had a late dinner and beer. Had Pork Knee, cabbage, and dumplings. Traditional Czech meal...a little fatty but money! It took forever to get my bill (the waiters come about 2 times the entire meal in Czech) and I didnt even get home until after midnight.

Sunday I headed to Karlstejn Castle, a castle built in the 18th century. It took about 40 minutes to get there by train, and then I had to walk 1 mile uphill to get there. The street winded through this little village where they had lots of little restaurants (and of course tourist shops) and shops that led up the hill. About 1/2 mile through the walk I could the see the castle perched on top of the mountain. Huge castle that overlooks the entire valley - the views were amazing on top.

I walked around for a bit around the castle, but I didnt do the tour as it cost 15 USD and was guided. I dint want to pay the money or take the time so I headed back to the village and had lunch and a beer. Had traditional Czech Beef Goulash -- Beef, sausage, and dumplings ladeled with gravy and some horseradish. Money! Washed it down with a Pilz, the famous Czech Pilsner.

Note...they drink as much, maybe more than Germans and they have as many different kinds of beers.

After heading back to Prague on the train, I headed back to the Castle for a 4th time. This time I walked inside the Cathedral, and it was overwhelming. The stained glass, the enormity of the church, every little detail. It was unbelievable. I got some great pictures inside, and then wondered around the entire complex again.

After a long hike up the mountain, I headed back to Old Town to take some more pictures and then headed over to Lubos Smutka's house for dinner. I met his wife, Anna. They just got married 6 months ago and were definately newlyweds! Great couple, and asked me lots of questions about the USA, our politics, economy, etc. They were intrigued that I dont have a family (you will have kids, yes?) they asked me a few times but as most know that isnt exactly in the cards right now! I didnt divulge my relationship situation as that would have been an awkward conversation but I dodged it pretty well...but I think it goes to show that family is very important over there!

Dinner was great -- Spaghetti, salad, and fresh off the market strawberries. Homemade cooking! And they had tomatoes in the spaghetti...I hate tomatoes but ate all of them. Would have been rude not to, and I trekked through them pretty good. I had only 5 or 6 strawberries (they were freaking yummy) because Lubos devoured like 25 of them! They kept pouring me beer - I must have had 4 pints at dinner. I then headed back on a full stomach to go to sleep before a big travel day to Vienna.

I took the 5 hour train to Vienna Monday and arrived to the worst weather Ive had. Very rainy, very windy, and prettz cold. I bought an umbrella as I headed to the hostel but it broke in 5 minutes from the wind. I got to Wombatts (I stayed at one in Munich...GREAT hostel) soaking wet and went to my room to dry off. I headed out for dinner at a local Turkish restaurant (there is a big Turkish population here) and had chicken on a spit with rice and a couple of Turkish beers.

I then headed back to the hostel and had beers at the bar where I met Sarah (American) and Robbie (Australian). They were asking me what I was planning on doing Tuesday and I told them sight seeing and then going to Austrian wineries so they agreed to join me!

So I woke up Tuesday and headed to Stephanplatz, where the main sites are. This city is so beautiful and very picturesque - its hard to explain - but the weather was still so miserable that its a shame. It seriously was hard to walk and enjoy the city it was so horrible out.

Nevertheless it didnt rain for the 1st hour and I was able to see the main stuff in that time. Saw the main Cathedral, Stephansdom which was almost as grandiose as Vitus Cathedral in Prague. Walked over to the Hofburg Palace, which was the biggest palace/imperial set of buildings I have ever seen. Walked along the main streets (all the sites are within 1 mile really) and then the HEAVY rain started. I hated doing it, but I paid for a tour bus which was 1 hour INSIDE the dry bus and put on the english headsets and listened to the history and the narration as we drove by Mozarts house, the old streets, and went by museum after museum after museum! Every building dates 2oo-300 years practically so there were lots of statues, monuments, and even a Greek/French artictural theme it seemed like.

I headed back after the sites and met Sarah and Robbie and headed to Grinzing for wine! The small village is about 15 minutes outside of Vienna and it was the cutest (I cant believe Im using that word) village Ive ever seen. We didnt actually make it to the wineries themselves but there lots of wine taverns (Heuringer they call them). This was the best experience...we had huge glasses of white and red wine as a local played the accordian at the 1st place. Everybody was singing and clapping as he played and he loved it as he drank his wine and he even posed for some good photos with us!

We then headed to a 2nd Heuringer and had another glass of wine and then we each ordered a dish and shared it with each other. I ordered the Schnitzel, Sarah ordered the Sausage with Kraut, and Robbie got skewered grilled Turkey with Veggies. Absolutely money! The turkey was my favorite, the Schnitzel was a CLOSE second and the sausage was a very nearby 3rd. All good! 2 men were playing the instruments - 1 was playing violin, 1 the accoridan and they were playing American and Australian songs for us!

We tipped them well, but declined to buy their CD they were trying to sell us! We then headed back to the hostel and partied and played pool until close (2 30). I am now heading to Greece for my final big leg of the trip. Cant wait for Athens and the Greek Islands!

No comments:

Post a Comment